9.19.2007

Avast Matee!!

Ahoy! It's one of my favorite days of the year today, International Talk Like A Pirate Day! I'm a huge fan of pirates, and I've always dreamed of one day being one, it just sounds so glamorous and fun :) If you're having trouble talking like a pirate today, check out the english-to-pirate translator here.

The above, translated:

The pirate speaks,"Ahoy! It's one o' me favorite days o' t' year today, International Talk Like A Pirate Day! I'm a huge fan o' pirates, and I've always dreamed o' one day bein' one, it just sounds so glamorous and fun :) If you're havin' trouble talkin' like a pirate today, check out t' english-to-pirate translator here."

Here's some quick tips for all you landlubbers:

Ahoy! - "Hello!"

Avast! - Stop and give attention. It can be used in a sense of surprise, "Whoa! Get a load of that!" which today makes it more of a "Check it out" or "No way!" or "Get off!"

Aye! - "Why yes, I agree most heartily with everything you just said or did."

Aye aye! - "I'll get right on that sir, as soon as my break is over."

Arrr! - This one is often confused with arrrgh, which is of course the sound you make when you sit on a belaying pin. "Arrr!" can mean, variously, "yes," "I agree," "I'm happy," "I'm enjoying this beer," "My team is going to win it all," "I saw that television show, it sucked!" and "That was a clever remark you or I just made." And those are just a few of the myriad possibilities of Arrr!

For your enjoyment:



1 comments :

Stacy Cross said...

Good Lord.